Tuesday 4 December 2012

Tree

This painting was created from a photo that was taken looking up to a blue sky through tree branches. It is called 'The Eye of the Storm' due to the suggestion of a bird perched in tree branches in the centre of the circular shape:




This was the original photo:




Here are some images of the development stages of the work:
















I became 'stuck' with the work after this image. I was unsure of the direction to take. I left it for a few days and suddenly had an idea that was sparked by another project I was working on. I immediately applied the technique and the work took off in an entirely different direction as shown in the images below:













This process of image creation is the way in which I am most comfortable working. I feel that it is very much in keeping with Ingold's idea of wayfaring - I set out with no end result in mind, rather I let the image lead and develop in an ongoing journey during which a new image begins to emerge. Rather than what Ingold (2008) describes as the joining up of previously decided techniques and ideas which results in there being "nowhere further for the line to go" (p. 74), working in this way leaves a very open ended result which can always be developed and taken further. This 'possibility' is one of the things I find most exciting about creating artwork for the MEd course.


Ingold, T., 2008. Up, Across and Along. In: Lines, A Brief History, London: Routledge. Ch 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment