Monday 12 November 2012

Drift photos





I took a short 'drift' around the area in which I live. I had no particular task to accomplish or destination. My aim was to discover colours, shapes, contasts, patterns and lines in unexpected places. I let my route unfold according to the first colour, shape, contast, pattern or line that caught my attention whilst looking at the route options. This made it much more like a journey of discovery with this as its function rather than than simply the mode by which I get from A to B.

I was particularly struck by the contrasts of this drain surrounded by leaves - a drain is so often a horrible thing but, taken out of context and viewed as a visual image separate from its function, the strong geometric shapes smothered by the wild array of decaying organic material creates a very interesting image:




I began to edit, develop, manipulate and transform the image, led in the same way as when I had taken the original walk - simply by what colours, shapes, patterns, lines and contrasts caught my attention. Here are some of the stages of development:






















This was the final piece I developed:




No comments:

Post a Comment